Thursday 3 May 2012

Stuck inside of Sheffield with the Buda blues again

This is the first Budapest Blog written from outside Budapest, but with Budapest very much in mind.
Before the pain begins ...
I am actually back in the UK, working temporarily here for personal reasons. However, in just over two weeks I will be jumping on a bicycle and cycling back to that beautiful city on the Danube.

There are a few reasons for doing this. One is that I enjoy the Zen-like process of cycling onwards and onwards day after day, just focusing on keeping the pedals turning and enjoying the countryside passing by. Another is the sense of achievement at getting it done, which becomes more and more significant as birthdays keep coming.

And a third is to try to raise some money for UNHCR's Syria appeal. This is a cause close to my heart as Helen and I spent some weeks in Syria late in 2010, and were very touched by the warmth and hospitality of everyone we met there. Seeing the human tragedy of what is happening in that country at the moment is distressing, and so I decided to try to do something to raise some money to support an organisation that is providing relief to people seeking safety.

If you would like to donate to this cause, please go to the Ammado community "Cycling for Syrian refugees". Or scan my QR code:

I shall try to update the blog as I travel along the road. I have invested in a solar charger for my mobile phone as apparently, in continental Europe the sun shines.

Watch this space.

No comments:

Post a Comment