Friday 18 May 2012

Time to get on my bike

So tomorrow, Saturday, at about 10 o'clock I shall swing my leg over my rear panniers and set off down the gentle slope of my road to head off for Hull and the overnight ferry to Rotterdam.



Find more  in Sheffield

The first day's journey will take me through the delights of Rotherham, Doncaster and Scunthorpe, but at least there will only be showers and not the heavy rain that has followed my (admittedly) limited training programme. The highlight will be crossing the mighty Humber suspension bridge before gliding into Hull docks and pedalling onto the P&O ferry.

I shall then have the delight of an overnight crossing to reflect on the wisdom of what I have started. But I have told too many people now to back out, so perhaps I shall just sneak onto a train and then hide in Budapest for 10 days…

No, seriously, could I live with myself? (A moment's pause).

I have lined up meeting friends in Cologne, Marburg and Vienna, which will keep me going, and I reflect that once I hit the Danube it will all be flat and downhill. Perhaps a reflection on life itself.

Anyway, the hours on the bicycle will give me plenty of time for cod philosophy, and with luck I will be able to remember some of it so that I can upload it to my blog at the end of each day. So if you would like to share my pain, login from time to time over the next few weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment